All bedrooms are furnished with the following items for each student upon their arrival (more information on pages 85-86 in the Parent and Student Handbook ):
- Twin bed (some have 3 drawers underneath) - boys always make their own beds except at Macdonald House (middle school) where they are done weekly by housekeeping staff;
- Desk with 3 drawers, 3 shelves, desk lamp and chair;
- Closet with shelf and hangers;
- Dresser (3 or 4 drawers);
- Cork board on wall (for appropriate photos, posters, flag, awards, memos etc.);
- Pillow, pillow case, mattress cover, top sheet and light blanket. Clean bedding provided weekly. Extra pillows available upon request.
Roommates share the following in their room:
- Strong metal main door with key lock, mirror and brass hooks;
- Window with curtain;
- Radiator heating with thermostat (no air conditioning in any of the Houses);
- Smoke and fire detectors;
- Small blue recycling box and small trash bin (emptied bi-weekly by housekeeping staff, although students are encouraged to do so when needed);
- Almost all rooms have hardwood floors, a few are carpeted (maintained weekly by housekeeping staff, at Macdonald House bi-weekly).
The following facilities are available in each House (although configurations differ):
- Hand sanitizer pump and notice white board is in the main foyer;
- Laundry room (no coins required). Laundering process will be taught both at Middle/Upper School. Professional wash and fold and dry cleaning is available for pick-up and delivery on Tuesday and Thursday;
- Basic kitchen with small appliances i.e. toaster, kettle etc. (available after study);
- Common room (with fireplace and where House meetings are usually held);
- Television Room;
- Games (pool table, foosball table etc.);
- Telephone booths;
- Shower rooms and washrooms on each floor (cleaned daily by staff) supplied with paper towels and liquid hand soap;
- Big blue recycling boxes and big trash bins on each floor;
- Water fountains on main floors;
- Security cameras, emergency lights, fire extinguishers, alarms and pulls on each floor;
- Water sprinkler system will be installed in the residences beginning with Macdonald House over the summer months;
- Parking lot for staff and students (policy on pages 72-73).
Housemasters (teachers), Assistant Housemasters (teachers), Duty Masters (teachers who usually live off campus) and Resident Dons (university students on co-op), Head of Houses (grade 12 students), Assistant Heads of Houses (grade 12 students), Prefects (grade 12 students) and House Captains (grade 11 students at Macdonald House) provide leadership within the Residences.
Residential Policies and Procedures Document available under the Middle or Upper School link on the left side of the SAC website home page.
Each House has two housekeepers who work through the week. They are very kind and will assist new families with orientation.
Tip: Label all personal belongings with boy’s name (use a label maker, iron on personalized labels, masking tape, permanent marker), everything from his cellular phone and alarm clock to his towels, shoes, winter jacket and socks. Things get misplaced sometimes and the more roommates there are, the messier it can get!